World War 2, WW2 in London

With regard to its parish boundaries, St. Luke’s Ancient parish was subdivided into about six for ecclesiastical purposes during the 19th century. After World War II
damage and population changes, all but one of the daughter churches disappeared. Successive local government reorganisations since 1900 have left boundaries which 2 have hardly any correspondence with the old parish/charity areas. Finally St. Luke’s Church itself had to close in 1959 when it became unsafe and the parish then attached to it was split up, the ecclesiastical boundary with the present parish of St Giles Cripplegate being shifted well north of the City boundary. The St. Giles
boundary has itself been modified three times since 1959.