Volunteers are the lifeblood of St Luke's and help us run our services and activities for our community. Could you help?
St Luke’s South Islington London Volunteer Vacancies
Join us and give something back to our South Islington community
Explore our latest vacancies at St Luke’s Community Centre, South Islington, London, and take the first step towards helping your community in need.
Ready to embark on your volunteering adventure? Explore our listings below and start your journey today.
Volunteer Role Outline
St Luke’s Over 55s Volunteer
Outline of Duties
- To support older people visiting St Luke’s enabling them to access and participate in the over 55s services, activities and facilities.
- To be involved in all activities taking place in the Club Room, Lounge, Dining Room in particular taking an interest in members and spending time talking with them and so on.
- To encourage and assist members to take part in table games, quizzes, craft and other group activities.
- Every morning check/refill coffee, sugar, tea and milk, regularly serve hot/cold drinks to members on the 1st Floor, who are unable to do so themselves and if possible encourage others to help themselves, if they can. Empty and fill the dishwasher as necessary and help keep the kitchen area clean and tidy.
- To help disabled and frail members lunch club users by carrying trays, liaising with catering staff, etc.
- To help keep the Club Room and kitchen tidy, dishwasher loading/unloading and leave the rooms set out and prepared for the next day’s sessions.
- To support the Community Organiser/ Driver to organise parties and events including preparing and decorating rooms, preparing and serving food and refreshments, promoting attendance and supporting entertainment, etc.
- To come to staff members with any areas of concerns and to act in accordance with St Luke’s Volunteer Handbook and the organisation’s Code of Conduct.
Hours required: Once or twice a week. Any day or days Monday to Friday 10.00am to 3.00pm. All year round or school term time.
Supervision for this role is from the Volunteer Coordinator.
Volunteer Role Outline
Cookery School Volunteer
Volunteers will help Community Chef during Cookery School Class and other cooking activities with food preparation and cooking, creating healthy, nutritious meals. You will get an opportunity to learn, share food and gain valuable experience as a class assistant delivering cookery classes. Additional training can be provided.
Outline of Volunteering Duties
- To help with kitchen space, appliances and food preparation before the class
- To assist class participants under the Class Tutor guidance.
- To help with cooking and food serving and sharing
- To help with tidying up after class.
- To ensure the class areas are clean, safe and tidy during and at the end of each class, following Health Safety guidance from tutor.
- To raise any concerns with staff and to act in accordance with the Volunteer Handbook and the Organisation’s Code of Conduct.
- To work effectively with St Luke’s staff and other volunteers to deliver a confidential service that is non-judgemental.
We have vacancies for following dates
Community Lunch on Saturdays
Saturday 17th June, Saturday 22nd July, Saturday 19th August, Saturday 30th September, Saturday 28th October, Saturday 25th November, Saturday 9th December
Monday Family Fun
Up to 25th September from 3pm till 7 pm
For more information:
Membership Area -Are You Eligible?
Membership gives you access to a wide variety of events, classes, workshops and support services aimed at making life more enjoyable and easier for our local community, providing services they might not otherwise have access to.
We’d love you to join us!
How It Works
1. Take a Look Through Our Latest Volunteer VacanciesYou can pay for your membership through this website, or you can contact us Click Here.
2. Apply For Your Dream Role at St Luke'sLook through our activities and events - choose what you'd like to do, maybe something you've never tried before!
3. Relax and Wait to Hear Back from Our Dedicated TeamWe look forward to welcoming you at the Centre when you come in for your class.
Why Choose St Luke's Community Centre
Community is at the heart of everything we do and our Community Centre on Central Street, south Islington, enables us and other organisations to offer services and activities for those who need them, giving access to things they might not otherwise get a chance to do.
Based on 301 reviews
We are driven by seeing our local community thrive, with a wide variety of services and activities there is something for everyone to enjoy. Don't just take our word for it though, we have plenty of testimonials on our website which we encourage you to see.
At St Luke's Community Centre we strive to make everyone in the local community feel welcome and valued. We are an inclusive venue. We are a designated Safe Haven and part of Dementia Friendly Islington.
Please contact us on 020 7549 8181 (9am-5pm Mon-Fri)
for more information on the services & activities available at St Luke’s Community Centre, Central Street, South Islington, London.
How to Find Us in South Islington London
Barbican 10 mins walk (0.5 miles)
Angel 14 mins walk (0.7 miles)
43, 205, 214, 394, N205
55, 243, N55