The History Of St Luke's Community Centre

The Act of 1732 recognised that there were charitable funds and ordered that they should continue to be divided between the two parts of the original parish as had been past practice. In June 1791 the original parish vestry set up a committee to agree the division of funds between the two parts of the parish. They did their work, and it was agreed in October 1792 that the agreed proportions should be recorded in ledgers to be kept by each part of the vestry. These ledgers (known as the black books) were subsequently lost but the income from rents continued to be divided in proportions from past custom and practice. However this caused arguments and differences between the two parishes, with frequent recourse to the Court of Chancery, for the next 150 years.